The Anti-inflammatory Diet established by Dr. Andrew Weil is very similar to other healthy diets, for instance the Mediterranean Diet. The Anti-inflammatory Diet was specifically designed to reduce age-related diseases and to improve overall health.
Chronic inflammation is associated with many diseases and may cause or exacerbate some of these.
New York Behavioral Health treats many patients with inflammation related disorders, diseases, and syndromes including anger, pain, heart disease, lupus, anxiety, depression, obesity, diabetes, etc. Therefore, we recommend consulting with your physician to see if nutritional changes are appropriate, given your medical status, in hopes of reducing chronic inflammation.
The overall aim of this diet is to reduce foods that promote inflammation. The typical American diet is rich in omega-6 fatty acids because of excessive consumption of processed foods (chips, cookies, fast food burgers and fries) and not enough omega-3 fatty acids (walnuts, black cod, etc.). The Anti-inflammatory Diet steers individuals toward a healthier balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, while stabilizing blood sugar, and including plenty of fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients.
• soy foods
Oily Fish (if you eat fish, select oily fish)
• black cod
• wild Alaskan salmon
• brown rice
• bulgur wheat
It is recommended to decrease or even avoid certain fats, meats, tropical fruits, and flour products when possible.
Fats to limit
• partially hydrogenated oil
• vegetable shortenings
Meats to limit
Tropical Fruits to limit
Foods with flour to limit
• White or whole wheat breads
• White or Whole wheat pastas
• If eating pasta, make it al dente
• Avoid high fructose corn syrup
• Reduce saturated fats – butter, cream, fatty meats
• Reduce processed and fast foods in general, e.g., crackers, chips, cookies, burgers, French fries, etc.
• Consume ground flaxseeds
• Plenty of water
• Olive oil as primary source of cooking oil
• Aim for 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day, but some smaller and less active individuals may require less individuals and many women may require fewer than that
• If you choose to drink alcohol, select red wine